Health economics and policy evaluation: healthcare provider incentives and behaviors, addiction policy, public insurance programs, incentivized medical-fraud enforcement, and corruption.
Peer Reviewed Publications
10. Nguyen, T. D., Nguyen, H., Dang, A. Determinants of patient satisfaction: Lessons from large-scale inpatient interviews in Vietnam. PLOS One. 2020. (Link)
9. Bento, A., Nguyen, T.D., Wing, C., Lozano-Rojas, F., Ahn, Y., Simon, K. Evidence from internet search data shows information-seeking responses to news of local COVID-19 cases. PNAS. 2020. (Link)
8. Andraka-Christou, B., Nguyen, T.D., Harris, S., Madeira, J., Totaram, R., Randall-Kosich, O., Atkins, D., & Ford, J. College students’ knowledge of and perceived helpfulness of medications for opioid use disorder at two American universities. American Journal of Drug and Alcohol Abuse. 2020. (Link)
7. Scrivner O., Nguyen T. D., Simon K., Middaugh E., Taska B., Borner K. Hiring in the substance use disorder treatment workforce during the first five years of Medicaid expansion. PLOS One. 2020. (Link)
6. Andraka-Christou, B., Nguyen T. D., Simon K. I., Bradford W. B. Assessing the Impact of Drug Courts on Provider-Directed Marketing Efforts by Manufactures of Medications for the Treatment of Opioid Use Disorder. Journal of Substance Abuse Treatment. 2019. (Link)
5. Nguyen, T. D., Andraka-Christou B., Bradford W. B., & Simon K. I. (2019). Rural Disadvantage in Distribution of Direct-To-Physician Promotion of Medications for Treating Opioid Use Disorder. JAMA Netw Open. 2019; 2(12):e1916520. (Link)
4. Nguyen, T. D., Andraka-Christou, B., Simon, K., & Bradford, W. D. (2019). Provider-directed marketing may increase prescribing of medications for opioid use disorder. Journal of Substance Abuse Treatment, 104, 104-115. (Link)
3. Nguyen, T. D., & Perez, V. (2019). Privatizing Plaintiffs: How Medicaid, the False Claims Act, and Decentralized Fraud Detection Affect Public Fraud Enforcement Efforts. Journal of Risk and Insurance. (Link)
2. Nguyen, T. D. (2019). Does firm growth increase corruption? Evidence from an instrumental variable approach. Small Business Economics, 1-20. (Link)
1. Nguyen, T. D., Bradford, W. D., & Simon, K. I. (2019). Pharmaceutical payments to physicians may increase prescribing for opioids. Addiction, 114(6), 1051-1059. (Link)
In the News
“IU study looks at the effect of Medicaid expansion on hiring attempts in substance use treatment workforce”, IU Research Impact, January 2020 (Link)
“Opioid sales reps visited Columbus doctors frequently”, The Republic, September 2019 (Link)
“Payments to physicians may increase opioid prescribing”, Society for the Study of Addiction, January 2019 (Link)
Papers under Review
Nguyen, T. D., Bradford, W. D., & Simon, K. I. How do Provider Restrictions on Prescription Opioids Affect Pharmaceutical Promotions? Lessons from the Mandatory Access Prescription Drug Monitoring Programs. No. w26356. National Bureau of Economic Research, 2019. (Link)
Nguyen, T.D., Gupta, S., Andersen, M., Bento, A., Simon, K., & Wing, C. Impacts of State Reopening Policy on Human Mobility. No. w27235. National Bureau of Economic Research, 2020. (Link)
Gupta, S., Montenovo, L., Nguyen T.D., Rojas, F., Schmutte, I., Simon, K., Weinberg, B., & Wing, C. Effects of social distancing policy on labor market outcomes. No. w27280. National Bureau of Economic Research, 2020. (Link)
Gupta, S., Nguyen T.D., Rojas, F., Raman, S., Lee, B., Bento, A., Simon, K., Wing, C.. Tracking Public and Private Response to the COVID-19 Epidemic: Evidence from State and Local Government Actions. No. w27027. National Bureau of Economic Research, 2020. (Link)
Sacks, D. W., Hollingsworth A., Nguyen, T. D., and Simon, K. Can Policy Affect Initiation of Addictive Substance Use? Evidence from Opioid Prescribing. No. w25974. National Bureau of Economic Research, 2019. (Link)
Gupta, S., Nguyen, T. D., Freeman, P., Simon K. Competitive Effects of Federal and State Opioid Restrictions: Evidence from the Controlled Substance Laws. No. 27520. National Bureau of Economic Research, 2020. (Link)
Nguyen, T.D., Muench, U., Andraka-Christou, B., Bradford, D., Simon, K., & Spetz, J. Impacts of Federal and State Regulations on Buprenorphine Prescriptions by Nurse Practitioners.
Nguyen, T.D., Andraka-Christou, B., Bradford, D., & Simon, K. Who Participates in SAMHSA’s Buprenorphine Practitioner Locator?
Perez, V., Nguyen, T. D., Understanding Heterogeneity in State Demand for Decentralized Fraud Enforcement: Evidence from US Medicaid Program.
Nguyen, T. D. & Lee, B. Today’s Lesson is Tomorrow’s Practice: The Early Exposure to State Restrictive Marketing Policies in Medical School Discourages Physicians from Receiving Pharmaceutical Payments. *
Nguyen, T.D., Simon, K., Bradford, D., & Conti, R. Does Expansion of Public Health Insurance Affect Prescription Drug Marketing?*